Patio umbrella must be part of your sun protection system at home every time you plan to spend time outside in the back yard or patio.
These days they are made to be an excellent sun protection product to keep you protected from the sun's damaging ultraviolet rays or ultraviolet radiation.
The sun umbrella is also known as sun parasol or market patio umbrella.
There is no place like home. But it doesn’t mean your back yard is any safer from UV rays than the beach.
When you hold them up properly or install them at the correct angle, your whole family gets protection from the sun especially when UV index is very high.
There are the kinds that are equipped with a tilt or moving arm to help you get the angle of installation right.
The Sun Protection Umbrella normally makes you feel 10 to 15 degrees (F) cooler than what the temperature actually is.
Your primary goal is to be sun protective and to prevent skin cancer, especially malignant melanoma.
Have You Ever Come Back Inside Your Home with Your Head Itching?
Well, chances are that your scalp got more than its share of sun exposureor UV rays.
Therefore it was burned or in other words got sunburn.
Naturally this could happen to any part of your body which was exposed or lightly covered.
This could potentially leave your skin open to future disorders or even skin cancer.
Why Should You Use a Patio Umbrella Anyway?
When you are in your yard under the sun, your whole body is subject to the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
• Your sun protection hat alone may not protect you.
• If it’s too hot under the umbrella, you may remove your sun hat.
• sun protection umbrella keeps you cooler while under the sun.
• It gives you extra level of sun protection.
How Do You Pick a Good Patio Umbrella?
It must have a UPF rating of 50+.
Usually the sun protection fabrics are rated by the UPF number. UPF stands for Ultraviolet Protection Factor.
So the higher the UPF rating the higher the UV protection will be.
For sun protection umbrella, a UPF 50+ rating is preferred which translates into a 98% blockage of the sun's harmful UVA and UVB rays.
Also water resistant UV sun umbrella is better for all kinds of weather.
Which Type of Patio Umbrella is the Best?
It's better when,
• Exterior surface color is reflective like silver
• Interior surface color is dark and non-reflective (for reducing UV reflections)
• It has two tier structure built in so the wind blows thru it
• It's lightweight and water resistant
• It has air ventilation built into the sun protection umbrella
• It has the widest diameter (minimum 6 feet, but normally 5 feet wider than the table it’s covering)
• It has a tilt built in so you can properly adjust it as the sun moves around
• The fabric of patio umbrella blocks 98% of the harmful ultraviolet rays.
• Sunbrella® fabrics are one of the best in the market and most recommended
Return to Home Page Return to the Top